Monday, December 14, 2009

Dumping Your Waste Water Out Back Is Against The Clean Water Act

For those hood cleaners that dump their water out back of the restaurants. You better be really careful now. I was taught at the hood cleaning school I attended to dump my water out back and it was ok as long as it didn't make it to a river or stream close by. I learned better ways over the years, but for those of you still doing this, STOP! The gov't is really cracking down on it. - Not So Private Property?: Clean Water Restoration Act Raises Fears of Land Grab

Anthony sent this using ShareThis.

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fire Destroys Captain D's Restaurant

Fire claims another restaurant. Just a reminder to have your grease ducts cleaned by a professional, then check their work to make sure they actually cleaned them!

via Google Alerts - restaurant fire by Charleston Post Courier on 12/12/09
By Andy Paras An early morning fire heavily damaged a Captain D's restaurant on US Highway 52 in Goose Creek on Friday. No one was hurt. ...
See all stories on this topic

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fire at Seau's in Mission Valley

Fire in the flue at Jr. Seau's restaurant in San Diego! Wonder if he went with the lowest bidder for his hood cleaning service?

via Google Alerts - restaurant fire by San Diego 6 on 11/14/09

SAN DIEGO - A kitchen fire in the Mission Valley restaurant of former San Diego Chargers linebacker Junior Seau disrupted lunchtime service Saturday, ...
See all stories on this topic

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I recently put a new post up on about marketing techniques for your hood cleaning business. I have had the article typed up for a few days now because I wasn't sure I wanted to post it.

It has been one of my best ways of doubling my close ratio over time since I started my hood cleaning business. It takes work and organization, but it is by far, the best way to double your sales while using the cold calling method of gaining new business. Go check it out here:

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Monday, September 28, 2009

Wood-burning grill sparked Evvia fire, officials say

Those wood burners need to be cleaned VERY often. A lot more often than the owners realize. Hood Cleaning is serious business, sometimes it takes a fire for people to realize this.

via Google Alerts - kitchen grease fire by Palo Alto Online - Palo Alto,CA,USA on 9/28/09
The fire was reported at approximately 2:30 pm and no one was injured, firefighters said. Sous chef Rito Castaneda said he was in the kitchen when an ...

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Using Video To Market Your Hood Cleaning Business

You don't have to be a good actor with a good script to make a good video for your business. The hood cleaning helper shows you how to market your hood cleaning business using videos here:

Friday, September 18, 2009

Firefighters Cleaning Up After Gaylord Restaurant Fire

Restaurant fire started in the motor on the roof. Scary stuff.

via Google Alerts - restaurant fire by 9&10 News on 9/18/09
Firefighters are cleaning up after a fire broke out tonight at the Sugar Bowl Restaurant in Gaylord. Details are vague, but firefighters tell Fox 32 News ...
See all stories on this topic

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hood Wrapping

Be sure to sign up for the update list. The Hood Wrapping video part 2 is coming VERY soon! It will include some cool tricks that I have never seen or heard anybody talk about before. You don't want to miss it.

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Friday, September 4, 2009

Smoke In Kitchen

I got a call today that was just a little different than most. When it comes to restaurant hood cleaning you never know what kind of call you will get. My customer said that the kitchen hood didn't have much suction. It was sucking out the smoke, but not as strongly as before. I knew that I had just cleaned this account about a month and a half ago so it wasn't that dirty (quarterly account).

There are only a few things to check when it is a problem with smoke in the kitchen. My first thought is usually a belt. Either the belt has broken or it is just loose and is slipping too badly to draw enough air. The customer told me that they had went on the roof to check that and air was blowing out of the top of the upblast fan really strong. Not the belt.

Next, I had him check the filters; they were clean. Not the filters.

Then, I had him check the make-up air. He said both vents in front of the hood were blowing like crazy. Not the make-up air.

By this time, I'm a little confused. What else is there? Well, this particular kitchen exhaust system has duct work snaking through the attic, I remembered. ACCESS PANELS! The customer went into the walk-in attic and checked the access panels. Nope, both were tight, he said. Ah-ha. "There is a third access panel hidden on the other side of the duct in one of the bends", I told him, "did you check that one?" It wasn't easy to get to and harder than heck to get pressure washing equipment back in there to clean, but he got back there and checked.

He said that it had slid down and the access hole was wide open. He finally got the access door put back on and it started working like a champ. What happened was I didn't get it tightened down completely and it took it a month and a half to slide down enough to leave the hole open and affect the ventilation of the hood system. My bad. Lesson learned.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Fire destoys Shalimar Restaurant in Woodbridge

Fire started in ventilation system that was scheduled to be cleaned today!!! Wow. Kitchen exhaust cleaning is being put on the back burner by some restaurants struggling to stay above water in this economy. Now it will cost this owner a lot more than the price to have his vent hoods cleaned.

via Google Alerts - restaurant fire by on 8/31/09
by Ryan Hutchins/For The Star-Ledger WOODBRIDGE -- The Shalimar Restaurant on Oak Road in the Iselin section of Woodbridge was destroyed by a fire this ...
See all stories on this topic

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Remembering Boston Firefighters Cahill and Payne: The WatchDesk Post

It was 2 years ago that a major restaurant grease fire changed how restaurant hood cleaning was regulated from then on. I think we hood cleaners need to think of these two fire-fighters every time we are feeling lazy about doing our jobs correctly. Somebody's life could be on the line.

via Google Alerts - restaurant fire by on 8/29/09
Two years ago fire struck a restaurant in West Roxbury in the city of Boston. The fire rapidly advanced necessitating the striking of four alarms. Two Boston firefighters, Paul Cahill and Warren Payne, perished during the fire.
The WatchDesk Post -

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Restaurant Grease Fire

This restaurant will be shut down for awhile thanks to his hood vents catching fire. Wonder if this restaurant owner saved money by going with the cheapest hood cleaning price he got?

via Google Alerts - restaurant fire by Edmond Sun on 8/26/09
When crews arrived flames and smoke were visible on the roof, said Tim Wheeler, EFD fire prevention chief. The fire was contained to the restaurant's ...
See all stories on this topic

Posted via email from Anthony's posterous